Thursday, October 15, 2015

Five Lines from 'The Office' You Hopefully Won't Be Hearing at Work Today

"I am running away from my responsibilities and it feels good". -Michael

"Toby works in HR, which technically means he works for corporate, so he's really not apart of our family". -Michael

"It's all about my bonus". -Stanley

"I ground up four extra-strength aspirin and put them in Micheal's pudding. I do the same thing with my dog to get him to take his heartworm medicine". -Ryan

"Do I need to be liked? Absolutely not. I like to be liked. I enjoy being liked. I have to be liked. But it's not like a compulsive need to be liked. Like my need to be praised". -Michael


Think of the workplace as your own personal PR. Would you ever say something like Micheal, Stanley or Ryan in a media release or to a client? I hope not.

In your professional life you consider all your audiences.
Who will hear what I say? Who will be affected by what I say? 
Will saying this positively or negatively affect me?
The same goes for interoffice interaction.

Everyone in your office is a stakeholder in not only the company you work for, but in your career. They represent people who have a stake or some sort of say in your organization's decisions and actions. Be cognizant of what you say and how you make people feel in your interaction with your colleges because it will ultimately positively or negatively affect the successfulness and longevity of your career.

No comments:

Post a Comment